About Me!

I began teaching fifth and sixth graders in the 2006-07 school year. Since that time I have taught 5th and 6th grade English Language Arts, reading and social studies. Currently I am teaching 8th and 9th grade ELA in my home district. I hold a professional teaching certification in New York State for both Elementary Education (1-6) and English Language Arts (7-12). and have my initial certification as a School Building Leader.

I believe one of my biggest strengths as an educator is my ability to integrate technology into the lessons. In fact, I earned a master's degree in integrating technology in the classroom. Many times I think teachers use technology as a bell or whistle and not as a tool to educate. It is great to get the attention of students with these bells and whistles, but it is even better to use these technologies to teach!

Sunday, March 25, 2012

iPods Have Arrived!

After about a months worth of planning and organizing my students finally got to use the iPod Touches this past week.  We started off simple and used them for some social studies projects that involve research.  Each student is creating a "bust" of a famous person from their state or country.  Not only do they need to create the bust using a hanger as a skeleton, but they also must write 2 paragraphs about the person as the person.

My Example Historical "Bust" of Ernie Davis
Now this is obviously something that could have been accomplished using the computer lab.  However, with the use of iPods I was able to have some kids working on the art part of the project while at the same time others did research and writing/typing.  This was literally the first day using the iPod Touches in the classroom and it went very well.

I will plan on using the iPods for much more, but I felt this was a good first step and a way to ease my students into their usage.  Once again I am amazed at how excited my students are to use technology to learn.  Even the educational apps (or "games" as they call them) are a hit!

No comments:

Post a Comment